Skip to content

Finances of Study Abroad

Colorful downtown Havana
Study abroad in Havana, Cuba with Spanish Studies Abroad for J-Term or a semester!
Study Abroad is Affordable with Hollins!

Hollins students benefit from longstanding partnerships with university and study abroad organizations that reflect in affordable program costs. Learn about how study abroad fees are calculated and how affordable it can be to start your journey!

Semester & Year-Long Programs
Hollins students who study abroad for a semester or year-long program will pay Hollins for the cost of a normal semester on-campus. In turn, Hollins will pay for the cost of the study abroad program directly to the program provider. Because of this payment structure, students are able to transfer their full financial aid package to the cost of their study abroad program

Additionally, Hollins students who receive federal work study grants are eligible to receive the Switzer Wise, Louise King Tower, Stuart Degginger, Myles Abroad, or Mary Rowland Sowell Abroad Scholarships for need-based financial aid for their semester or year-long study abroad program. The funds replace work-study earnings and may also increase a student's total grant amount. For questions or to see if you qualify for these funding opportunities, contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at for more information. 

J-Term Language Immersion Programs
Students participating in J-Term Language Immersion programs through Spanish Studies Abroad and the Institute of Touraine will be billed for the full cost of the program. See the individual program pages for each program for a breakdown of costs.

Students can apply for the Hollins International Travel Awards to cover the full cost of the program, plus outside costs like roundtrip international airfare, visa costs (if needed), optional tickets and trips, etc. 

Applicants must have a GPA minimum of 3.0 at the time of application and must retain a 3.0 minimum GPA by the start of their abroad program. Preference will be given to those applicants with financial need as establish be the Office of Scholarships and Financial Assistance (SFA). Note: if you are a domestic student, you must have a current FAFSA on file with SFA in order for them to determine your financial need. Students can contact to confirm you have a FAFSA on file and/or receipt of your current FAFSA. If you are an international student, SFA works directly with the International Programs office to determine need.

Who to contact
For questions about your individual financial obligations related to study abroad, please contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at and/or the Hollins Business Office at The International Programs Office is not able to advise students on an individual basis about their finances related to study abroad.